Note that there will be no Matins services this Wednesday and Friday.
Bishop Paul's Visit to Holy Trinity
Bishop Paul will be paying an archpastoral visit to Holy Trinity on the weekend of December 5-6. He will be joining us for our annual St Nicholas Childrens Celebration after Vespers on Saturday December 5. As usual, that celebration will be followed by a potluck in Archangel Michael Hall. On Sunday morning at the Divine Liturgy he will bless our new addition. At coffee hour we will have a festal fish dinner (not a potluck); if you would like to help with that meal, please e-mail Vera Proctor.
St Nicholas Day Help Needed
Embedded in Bishop Paul's visit is our annual St Nicholas celebration at Holy Trinity. Please email Anna Dains if you can help in any of the following ways:
- Storytelling: Traditionally we tell a seasonal story to the children as they wait and hope that St Nicholas will fill their shoes with a gift. We have two story tellers who have been performing this task for the past few years. But perhaps there are others in our community who would enjoy this opportunity. Let us know!
- Helping St Nicholas with the gift bags: Assembling and/or distributing bags
- Donating for the cost of gifts: This is a non-budgeted event that has previously been covered by parish donations; be sure to write 'St Nicholas Day' in the memo line of your check.
- Please, please RSVP! Let us know if your children are planning to attend and if they are bringing guests. St Nicholas needs to know how many bags to deliver!
- Fill our FOCUS basket: Children may begin to bring canned and boxed food and new toys to fill a basket for St Nicholas to take to FOCUS. The wicker basket is located on the side table in the church basement meeting room. (Leftover St Nicholas treat bags will also be donated.)
The Third Day of Christmas ...
Our custom of enjoying some coffee-hour caroling and talent show on the first Sunday after Christmas (this year it's the third day of Christmas) is in jeopardy! Our perennial organizer, Mike Lotti, will be in Florida with the family. If you might consider hosting and coordinating the event, please speak to Fr Jonathan.
Church School and Adult Education
Calendar: All classes normally meet at 9 am on Sunday mornings. Church school meets the second Saturday of each month (the same night as the monthly potluck) and takes the following Sunday off.
*Children and youth meet in church basement
*Adults meet in Archangel Michael Hall
- December 5: St Nicholas Day Celebration! - Mark your calendar for Saturday, December 5, and join us for Vespers, a visit from St Nicholas, and a community potluck (and see the announcement above for ways you can help).
- November 29 "The Just War" - Scott Pentecost will present a brief introduction to the medieval Christian idea of the “Just War.” Will Jacobs will discuss its application to some aspects of contemporary warfare.